Picaro Leaves Ross Haven Farm

Picaro Leaves Ross Haven Farm
Picaro pictured with Dr. Carl Kirker-Head, Pete Daigneault, Farm Manager and Mona Kirker-Head with their daughters

Picaro's Progress is a Miracle!

Please join others in donating to Tufts Large Animal Hospital in honor of Picaro. If you are able to donate, please copy & paste w/ Picaro as subject: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/giving . Many thanks to those who have donated and are considering a donation. These donations make it possible for us to have this state of the art facility with top Veterinarians to care for our animals.

Monday, February 8, 2010

A New Horse!

This afternoon I saw a new Picaro! He was feisty and fun! Apparently he has really been enjoying his walks in the afternoon, trying to find green grass...(and he has)... picking up a little gait and stretching his neck to say, "this is nice out here!"

After his bandages were changed today he wanted to eat! Watching him fill is mouth with pellets and dropping half of them was puzzling to me. After a while I decided to hand feed him. This way I could control how much he got and wait until it was swallowed before he had more.

The session turned into a game! I would hold the small bag of feed behind my leg and he would eat out of my right hand. When he wanted more he went looking for the bag! "Sorry, Picaro, you have to swallow what is in your mouth first!" This went on until all of his grain was gone. Not only did it show some spunk, but also, I was able to get more food into him.

Although I came home covered in drool and grain mush, it was worth it all! I really believe he is going to make it!

2 comments:

  1. I AM SO GLAD PICARO IS DOING WELL & I LOVE THIS DIARY. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US UPDATED. I HAVE BEEN INTERESTED IN THIS STORY SINCE THE BEGINNING. PICARO IS A VERY SPECIAL & LUCKY BOY & MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIM & HIS CAREGIVERS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a miracle! He really is the miracle horse...I'm so glad to hear he's doing better.

    ReplyDelete

 

gold parties